b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:11:31 +0100

On 15/05/2005 22:21, B. M. Rocine wrote:

Hi Tony,

Thanks. I sent Gen. 1:2 to myself, and it was readable, but the holem dot (holem defectiva) makes too large a space for itself within a word. Is there anything I can do?

The problem here seems to be that the text is being rendered in one of the Microsoft standard fonts, which give readable Hebrew but still have this problem with a full width space under holem. This is partly because of the simple technology behind these fonts - although they could do much better with a much narrower space. But the real answer is to use a better font. The Microsoft font David does much better (without cantillations), as do SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL - at least on Windows.

I would recommend Troy to set up a style for Hebrew in his HTML stylesheet with one of these fonts as default.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)