b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Boring grammar again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Boring grammar again
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:29:02 -0500

Dear George:

Actually, the word for pain is K)B / &#1499;&#1488;&#1489;

&#1506;&#1510;&#1489;&#1493;&#1503; / (CBWN is a noun derived from the root
meaning to do sorrowful, heavy labor that causes one to be worn out and in
pain (both mental and physical). Hence the noun refers to heavy, sorrowful
labor. What are the noun equivelants to Qal, Piel etc.? I haven’t really
compared those yet. (The Chinese equivelant is “gwoo lik” (bitter strength)
from which we get “cooly” as in cooly labor.)

As for the noun suffixes, I already pointed out that there seems to be four
meanings to the -H suffix, or five if you include indicating feminine, so
what possible meanings are there for the -WN suffix? Is the -T suffix the
same as the -H suffix? Does the M- prefix indicate causality? What about the
T- prefix? Does not the shegolate form indicate an object acted upon, while a
nominal use of a participle the actor listing also his action?

I just looked up in a concordance for uses of GR$ / &#1490;&#1512;&#1513; If
it were not for the Masoretic points, it appears that the Qal is not well
attested to in B-Hebrew. From the consonants alone and in context, five of
the eight claimed Qals would be recognized as nouns, two others could just as
well be Piels, leaving only one Qal to compare against over thirty Piels.
That’s too small a sample to recognize shades of meaning. And even that one
Qal appears to be a nominal use of the root, leaving no Qals.

Now do you see why I want examples where the Qal, Piel and Hiphil are all
well attested to?

In short, I am looking for how the action indicated by the Piel differs from
the action indicated by the Qal and by the Hiphil? Almost universally, the
Hiphil seems to be a simple causative of the Qal, but Piel differs from them
both. From its consonental form, it is seldom recognizable from Qal,
therefore it has to be recognizable from context. It could be that there are
no terms from western grammar that describe the difference. Was there any
discussion about this in premodern Hebrew grammars? Anything pre-Masoretic?
If so, what did they say? It could be that Piel stood for more than one
meaning. But so far the only meaning I have seen attested to in Tanakh is
bringing a state into being, such as an expression &#1491;&#1489;&#1512; /
DBR or a state of lostness that the person or object cannot be found
&#1488;&#1489;&#1491; / ABD.

Thanks again for your help.

Karl W. Randolph.