b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Boring grammar again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "kwrandolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Boring grammar again
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:23:09 +1000

Hi Karl!

Thanks for your comments about DBR meaning expression -- they are very
helpful.

I'm not denying that Piel usually conveys the notion of bringing a state into
being. I was just trying to capture all that the Piel pattern does with one
label. Perhaps 'heightened' action is not the best label. The basic pattern
of doubled second radical and no added intrinsic consonant (by intrinsic
consonant I mean things like the nun-prefix for the Niphal) generally does
convey a heightening or formalising of the concept, whether it's in a verbal
or nominal form.

A nominal form which comes to mind in the word Nwbc( in God's curse of the
woman with regards childbearing in Gen 3. The standard word for 'pain' is
something like bc( in the segholate form. The reference to Nwbc(, though, is
an intensive form (something like 'pain-arama').

In verbal terms, you might compare the Qal and Piel of the root GR$. The Qal
means something like 'drive out' or 'cast out', but the Piel has a heightened
or more formalised meaning, something like 'banish', 'expel' or 'evict'.

In sum, while Piel is predominantly used for the causation of a state, it
does not solely mean this. It generally indicates a heightened or formalised
action. Perhaps there is a better word someone might come up with which is
more suitable and helpful?

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)