b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl - Ex 34.7 - punish or visit inquity or deal with

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl - Ex 34.7 - punish or visit inquity or deal with
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:35:05 -0500

Jack:

I noticed when looking up passages “quoted” in the New Testament, that
sometimes one verse, or even part of the verse, would be
quoted, as shorthand to refer to the context that verse is found in in
Tanakh. Sometimes the reference was really for several verses in
Tanakh, but only a small part actually quoted. Our shorthand today is the
name the book, chapter and range of verses.

Seeing as the New Testament was written by first century Jews, that is
evidence that that practice was used at least in first century
Jewish society. Possibly earlier.

In fact, I think that practice was very likely earlier, seeing as much of
poetry and even prose among the pre-exile prophets often was
indirect speech, expecting the reader or hearer to add details not explicitly
spoken, such as the continued emnity between Israel and
Ameleq.

Karl W. Randolph.