b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Classifying and identifying clauses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Classifying and identifying clauses
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:36:58 -0500

My syntax is a little rusty. I have been reading through my Hebrew New Testament and I believe the version I am reading of John 1:1 has an example of both a classifying clause and an identifying clause. But I am not sure what the difference in meaning between the two is.
The passage in question reads:
W:HU) HADFBFR HAYFH )"CEL HF):ELOHIYM, W")ELOHIYM HFYFH HU) HADFBFR

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify the difference between a classifying clause and an identifying clause and correct me if I have misidentified them here.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy