b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Classifying and identifying clauses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Classifying and identifying clauses
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:38:51 +0100

On 24/04/2005 21:36, Michael wrote:

My syntax is a little rusty. I have been reading through my Hebrew New Testament and I believe the version I am reading of John 1:1 has an example of both a classifying clause and an identifying clause. But I am not sure what the difference in meaning between the two is.
The passage in question reads:
W:HU) HADFBFR HAYFH )"CEL HF):ELOHIYM, W")ELOHIYM HFYFH HU) HADFBFR

What translation of the NT is this? It doesn't look to me like good biblical Hebrew - but of course this might not have been the translator's intention. For it appears that HU) is being used before the noun as some kind of demonstrative adjective, or as an additional article; whereas in biblical Hebrew HU) as a demonstrative adjective always follows the noun and almost always takes the article itself (see BDB sv HU) 7).

But I notice that this translation corresponds word for word, in the same order, with the original Greek here, if HU) is taken as a rendering of the Greek article hO. So perhaps this is simply an over-literal translation of the Greek. If so, if you want to understand the phrase you should look at the Greek - or at one of the many good English translations of the Greek.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)