b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hittites/Assyrians

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hittites/Assyrians
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:10:42 -0000

dear Members, Please could someone clear up a nagging issue for me. I am
reading conflicting reports on the internet (I have no access to university
material) concerning the 'CHATTI' ('Hatti').

Some say that this is the term given TO the peoples of ASSYRIAN descent BY
the Romans who had moved north around present day Armenia and were a
constant hassle to Rome since the roman historian calls them HATTI/CHATTI.
Yet others say that this is the term that the ASSYRIANS gave TO the Hittites
years before. Why the dissagreement?

thanking you.

  • [b-hebrew] Hittites/Assyrians, wattswestmaas, 03/10/2005