b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Clay: Overspecification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Clay: Overspecification
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:13:21 -0500

Hi Clay,

I think you asked recently for examples of overspecification of a participant. I ran across a couple today:

Gen 29:10 ...laban 'axiy 'immo... X 3! I suppose this may be to underline that Jaakob had indeed found family. I think we should note as interesting that Laban may not be considered a bonafide participant in the narrative yet.

Gen 41:46 ...par`oh melek micrayim... I would say that the "full" reference to Pharoah here (in contrast to just par`oh) enobles Joseph's promotion to prime minister.

Longacre has a chapter in his _Joseph_ on participant reference, and I am sure he has a few comments on the significance of over-specification. I know he marshals the reference potentials of the language and the variety of reference operations, such as character introduction, marking of a central character, plain-jane tracking, character re-instatement, and confrontation as found at climax/denouement.

Best, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

ph: 315.437.6744
fx: 315.437.6766

  • [b-hebrew] Clay: Overspecification, B. M. Rocine, 03/09/2005