b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yahwism (was: their altar)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yahwism (was: their altar)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:43:02 -0800 (PST)

Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:inter alia:
"... There is no reason to suppose Egyptian
gods are involved rather than Baal or Yahweh, especially
in light of the text. [in K. 'ajrud]"

The Egyptian god Bes is illustrated there. According to P. Beck three
different illustrators are involved..

".... we might suggest that since
Solomon is said to have had idols in Jerusalem, we
cannot be sure he built the Temple to Yahweh. That
claim seems to overlap the theological aim of Kings
and yet is internally inconsistent with the "idols"
factoid...."

There is nothing wrong with speculation provided it is based on
evidence,which is not the case here.

" ...On the other hand, since starting with the
Mt. Carmel episode we see a stark contrast between
use of Yahwistic names and non-Yahwistic names"

Truly a peculiar statement, since foreign gods were never more than a
remarkably small proportion of Israelites theophoric names. As I suggested
before, J. Tigay wrote a fascinating study on this very subject.

"...The Mesha stele is ambiguous. Viewed in light
of the book of Kings, one may suggest worship of
Yahweh alone. "

On can state the above not 'in the lightof the book of Kings', but simply
on what the stele states.

"..Viewed in light of contemporaneous
inscriptions, one may suggest that the Temple [mentioned in Mesha stele]
was to Yahweh, but Baal and Asherah may have
been present there as well."

Another highly speculative statement without any grounding in fact, since
ANE temples tended to be dedicated to single deities.

But then, as they say in an important Semitic language: "Die Gedanken sind
frei."

Uri

>From jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net Thu Mar 10 12:55:30 2005

h=User-Agent:Date:Subject:From:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:Mime-version:Content-type:Content-transfer-encoding;
b=UUlftziQgicxGYhyrCsA52q1KmldNP4qi577dNbQOfKyp51yQHobKceFGppkP0uC;