b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 28:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 28:26
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:21:17 -0500

David:

How much of the uncertainty is caused by the word XZYZ being used only three
times? By sloppy lexicography? By following tradition? By ...

The word used for lightning is BRQ, which was used also for a flash of light.

The word for thunder was R(M.

XZYZ particularly from its use in Zechariah 10:1 appears to mean
"thunderstorm" which is not contradicted by its two uses in Job 28:26 and
38:25.

In Job, this is not a construct chain, as indicated by the prefixed L- on
XZYZ. Furthermore, the final word is "voices", better translated as "sounds",
not "thunder", which would fit a thunder storm with the sounds of its wind,
rain along with the thunder. Add to that that DRK has a much broader meaning
than the English equivelant, makes the following translation possible "makes
way for sounds for a thunderstorm".

Karl W. Randolph.