b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 28:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 28:26
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:16:29 +0000

@David: You wrote...

The KJV ASV and RSV all treat these two nouns as a construct absolute
chain (lightnings of the thunder). But that doesn't really seem to be
what is happening with these two words. The majority of the other major
translations take them together to refer to a thunderbolt (NASB) or a
thunderstorm (NEB, NIV). The Message understands a waw between the two
of them and translates thunder and lightning.

Response: Yeah I am not sure about ASV and RSV but KJV never does a good job
in my view with constructs. Notice Ps 48:1, in the Hebrew HAR-KFD$W which
literally reads "mountain of his holiness. " Most bible translators would see
this as an attributive genitive meaning "his holy mountain." Not KJV, they
leave it as is, which is weird in my view.

The same here, the KJV is simply translating the genitive expression
literally. I would take it as thunder of voices, basically meaning
thunderclap. Which probably affiliated with the noise from thunder after
lightning has struck. Although HALOT on p302 takes (xaziz kwlwt) as
thunderbolt. Which is probably pointing towards lightning. And on 1084 sees
it as thunderclap.

But with WDEREK in mind, xaziz is probably refering to the path of lightning,
so maybe thunderbolt would be the best translation.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net