b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 31:16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 31:16
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:03:19 -0500

Dear Jim,

A fair question. The same as we often talk about the best way to translate a passage into English or how particular English translations may enlighten our understanding of a passage or construction, we may also refer to non-English translation as a means of investigating the Hebrew. Of course, that includes the LXX. Sometimes we fixate on the translation during the course of a thread, and the Hebrew gets left in the dust, or so it seems, but that is the nature of the game.

We are all also free to refer to commentaries on the Tanakh from any tradition, Jewish, Christian, or otherwise, as a means of understanding the Hebrew. The New Testament, for instance, often comments on the Tanakh in a manner that has linguistic relevance. I also often personally refer, on this forum, to Rashi, the great Jewish commentator. Such comments are welcomed on this forum. We don't go to these sources to push doctrines or religions. We do so to find clarity for the Hebrew.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

You wrote:

At 06:16 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote

I believe that in Greek the neuter plural SABBATA is commonly used for a singular Sabbath. I know that is regular usage in the New Testament,

Now hold on- you just scourged me for mentioning the New Testament....

not sure about LXX without checking. And in Greek a neuter plural noun would be referenced with a neuter plural pronoun, without implying true plurality. So this is probably an issue in the Greek rather than the Hebrew.

Isn't this a Hebrew forum and as such, sticking strictly to the rules, isn't greek, even LXX greek out of bounds?

Jim