b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 31:16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 31:16
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:16:37 +0000

On 10/01/2005 21:32, Bearpecs AT aol.com wrote:

Exodus 31:16
(double checked the reference. sorry I switched the numbers on Deut 6:9)

BHS notes that the Septuagint translates "to do them" instead of "to do the Sabbath". However, it does not mention the fact that Septuagint translates earlier in the verse "keep the Sabbaths" (plural) instead of "keep the Sabbath".
1. Is there reason to believe that the plural in Septuagint does NOT reflect a different Vorlag?
2. If not (i.e. if it may indeed reflect a different Vorlag), why wouldn't BHS mention it?

I believe that in Greek the neuter plural SABBATA is commonly used for a singular Sabbath. I know that is regular usage in the New Testament, not sure about LXX without checking. And in Greek a neuter plural noun would be referenced with a neuter plural pronoun, without implying true plurality. So this is probably an issue in the Greek rather than the Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)