b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:55:34 +1100

But isn't that the problem - that they only go for help when they realise
they don't understand? How often do they treat an idiom as literal because
it seems to make sense, and so they miss what the original means? If we are
prone to misunderstanding texts from earlier periods even though they seem
to be written in English much as we use it, but misunderstand the thought
behind the words, can we really believe that most ordinary English speakers
who have a literal translation because it is recommended as being 'more
accurate' will be able to tell when they *should* seek help?

Kevin Riley