b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:53:51 +0000

On 05/01/2005 16:17, Jim West wrote:

At 11:12 AM 1/5/2005, you wrote:

Please name any English version which is in fact a paraphrase, i.e. an adaptation of a previous text in the same language, rather than a translation, i.e. based on the original language texts - and which does not call itself a paraphrase as the Living Bible does. I know that it has been alleged that the King James Version and the New World Translation were in fact based only on previous English versions, but this certainly not entirely true.

It is in fact completely and entirely true.

Jim, just for clarification, are you in fact asserting the following?

1) The King James Version was based entirely on previous English versions without reference to the original language texts.

2) The New World Translation was based entirely on previous English versions without reference to the original language texts.

Unfortunately I don't have the book you recommend. Does it in fact make these assertions?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)