b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:00:34 -0500

At 11:53 AM 1/5/2005, you wrote:

Jim, just for clarification, are you in fact asserting the following?

1) The King James Version was based entirely on previous English versions without reference to the original language texts.

No- it was based on earlier english texts and also compared with the hebrew and greek texts. That is, imagine the translators of the KJV sitting at their desks (or standing- folk back in that time generally stood while they wrote). On one side of the desk they have Tyndale and Wycliffe and on the other Hebrew and Greek texts. They took Tyndale and Wycliffe and copied them out while glancing at the originals to make sure that Wycliffe and Tyndale were not too far off the mark. Where they felt it necessary to update, they did.

2) The New World Translation was based entirely on previous English versions without reference to the original language texts.

Same as above.

Unfortunately I don't have the book you recommend. Does it in fact make these assertions?

I don't think it discusses the NWV but its been a while. And of course Rogerson spells out the history of the KJV and so far as I recall makes precisely those points. Though, as you can imagine, when one reads a lot of stuff after a while its hard to know who said what and which ideas are original or absorbed.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog