b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:08:37 -0600

Dear Karl,

The context indicates that a man should be looking at his wife only, not at other women, which should “be dispersed from his eyes”. My reading keeps the grammar as standard instead of changing to a grammatically non-standard question and fits the context. Is there any grammatical point that I overlook?

HH: Well, you haven't revised your translation since I pointed out that the verb is not in the second person imperative. If you do that, then perhaps we can go on.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard