b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:09:20 -0600

Dear Karl,

The verb is plural third person, but the subject is PLGY MYM.

M(YNTYK cannot be the subject, as it has a prefixed M- short for MN which can never be the subject of the verb.

HH: It only has a prefixed MN in your interpretation. You know that you are ignoring the standard meaning for the term given in all translations I've seen. So why push such obscurantist logic? The word means "spring," and the M is part of the noun, not a prefix.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Karl W. Randolph.