b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: schmuel AT escape.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:02:54 -0600

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:33:20 -0500 Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com> writes:
> Hi b-hebrew,
>
> I have a question about determining whether a verse is a
> declaration, or a question.
>
> Proverbs 5:16 (KJB)
> Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the
> streets.
>
> In some modern translations, this is switched to a question, as
> it is believed to fit the
> context better. (However, John Gill and some others explain the
> verse as being a
> reference to children, descendents, which would leave it as a
> declarative sentence.
> In fact, Gill quotes both the Targum and Ibn Ezra as fitting this
> understanding.)
>
> Independent of the contextual issues, are their clues in the
> Hebrew grammar or
> construction that would indicate which way this verse is mentioned ?
> Or is it purely
> a contextual issue ?
>
> Shalom,
> Steven Avery
> Queens, NY
____________________

YfPW.CW. Ma(:Y:NoTeYKf XW.CfH B.R:XoBoWT P.aL:G"Y_MfYiM

In the Word Biblical Commentary, vol 22 on Proverbs Roland Murphy notes

"The text does not have the sign for the question, but neither is it
necessary (cf. GKC ยง150a). As a question, the verse leads nicely into the
emphatic v 17 "

Note the sequence in his translation here (emphasis added)

15 Drink water from *** your own *** cistern,
running water from *** your own *** well.
16 Should your springs be scattered abroad,
and streams of water in the squares???
17 Let them be *** yours alone, ***
and not shared with strangers!
george