b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:04:30 -0500

Hi b-hebrew,

Proverbs 5:16 (KJB)
Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.

>HH: The NKJV has:
>16 Should your fountains be dispersed abroad, Streams of water in the
>streets?
>This is a significant change, since the KJV had this verse as a declarative,
>not an interrogative sentence. The NKJV made interpretive changes only where
>they felt it was absolutely necessary to do so.

Schmuel,
Having read from some who have compared the NKJV and the KJB it seems there
are large numbers of changes that were far from felt to be "absolutely
necessary", in fact many that might be considered as downright arbitrary and
capricious. Personally, I don't really reference the NKJV but if were
significant I think I could check it out and rather quickly post a fair
number of such examples. (If OT for this forum it could probably be done on
whichversion).

Meanwhile, there has been plenty posted here that doesn't match any
"absolutely necessary" view.

Thread review:

Maurice mentioned the "HOTTP = Hebrew Old Testament Text Project,
which cordially allows both possibilities,
Yigal gave a short voice for the declarative,
George gave the Genesius reference, allowing but not insisting on the
interrogatory
Harold gave arguments for the interrogatory, and analyzed detail thereof.
Karl gave a rather unusual suggestion (which I am taking the liberty of
considering a bit afield).
Notable basic quote - "There is no grammatical indication that this is a
question."
Peter weighed in with Karl's suggestion
Bryan also, with the significant
"leaving the MT as is and wrestling with whether Pro 5:16 is a question or
a hope."

One reason I will bypass Karl's suggestion is that I consider the Masoretic
vowels as part of the Received Text, not arbitrary or guesswork.

Now let's continue <whew>,

While much as been addressed, originally there were some points that really
were not addressed,

Original question posts
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2004-December/021849.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2004-December/021851.html

Which I will re-phrase here.

A) Numerous Hebraic commentators, as mentioned by John Gill, see the verse 16
and 18 as
related to children/descendents or disciples. Afaik, these men were not
slow to see
sexual themes, yet they saw a different type of parallelism here, with
waters being used
in two different way. This seems to be fundamental to making comfortable
the interpretation
of the declarative and yet nobody commented on these ideas.

B) Accepting "A" then seems to lead to a very nice parallelism of verses 15
and 16
to 17 and 18, which would eliminate any supposed difficulties in the
text.
(Which magnifies the importance of the reasonableness of "A")
Am I the only one who sees or is concerned with such parallelism ?

Thanks to all for your help on this thread and the Isaiah 9:6 one as well,
as the secular calendar year draws to a close.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

(additional version references courtesy of Harold)