b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:47:13 +1100

The Bible indicates that the ancestors of the Hebrews spoke Aramaic. I
can't recall the reference of the text, but it says something like "my
father was a wandering Aramaean", and that is supported by 1. the fact that
the relatives of Abraham who did not go to Canaan [e.g. Laban] spoke Aramaic
and 2. that the Bible refers to Hebrew as 'the language of Canaan'. Of
course, none of that argues against Hebrew being the oldest language, but it
does make it somewhat irrelevant. I would like to see evidence for your
conclusions that are actually stated in the text of Genesis rather than
assumed by the reader.

Kevin Riley