b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal accent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>, <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal accent
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:13:35 -0600

Hi guys,

This may be a silly question...

Would it be correct to say that short vowels tend to "prefer" closed
unaccented syllables or open accented syllables?

In looking at the lexical form of the hebrew verb, qatal for example, why is
the second syllable (the accented one) usually (I guess except for III-heh
and III aleph verbs) pointed with patah and not qamets if it is accented and
closed?

Thanx!

C Meadows