b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:58:26 -0500

Jim:

Define "linguist working today"? Do you limit it to someone who is
working in academia?

There are some linguists working today who accept the theory that
Hebrew, as written in Genesis, is the original semitic language,
but they don't have university chairs nor are they allowed to
publish in academic peer reviewed journals.

I personally accept this proposition, that Hebrew was the original
language, but I realize that it is predicated upon the acceptance
of Genesis as an accurate historical source, not upon linguistic
principles. The arguments for "Proto-Semitic" are based on
assertions that don't even fit known histories of other languages,
therefore I don't find them convincing. But we are not here to
argue history where, because of a dearth of data, there is no
possibility of resolution, rather to discuss what we can see,
namely the texts as they stand. Can we cool it, both sides?

Karl W. Randolph.