b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:36:24 +0200

> >>Well, this depends what you mean by "deliberate". Yes, it was the
> >>conscious act of some human to coin a new root and suffix combination.
> >
> >Hardly a caveperson, what do you think?
> >
> Are you saying that cavepersons were incapable of coining new words? Yet
> somehow they seem to have developed human language from nothing.

"they" is an assumption
Yes, I think cavemen were unable to create the root system, the third
radical, prefixes and suffixes

> It is much simpler than some languages, yes, but far more complex than
> other languages like Chinese which basically have no morphology at all.

Curiously, Chinese have essentially the same root system as Hebrew, many
hieroglyphs made of the "building blocks."
You don't distinguish between powerful simplicity of Hebrew, and primitive
simplicity of, say, Esperanto.

> As for the rest of what you say, I will simply say that it is nonsense.

Then let's stop wasting time on each other.

Vadim Cherny