b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Isaiah 53:8 lamo (Vadim Cherny)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Darrell Smith <Darrell.H.Smith AT sceptreofjudah.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Isaiah 53:8 lamo (Vadim Cherny)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:17:38 -0800

To find out the
>meaning, we need to establish the etymology. ...

No, no, NO!!! Meaning is not established by etymology. Meaning is
established by usage in context.

I agree with Mr. Cherny for several reasons.

1) The structure of Hebrew suggests that at its earliest form it was a
designed language, which proposes that it was given to Adam by Yhwh.

2) Many Bible passages have multiple meanings. One often has to dig past the apparent
temporal or physical view to "see" the implications of the underlying
meaning. Formal language may be disguised by the colloquial.

3) Formal language is still used even after the popular language may have drifted. For instance, if one
were to use the word "gay" in everyday use it would mean "a sexual pervert". The same
word would mean "joyous, lively, brilliant" in a more formal (or even more literate) context.

4) I would make the supposition that Yhwh would use formal, ancient meanings
of words to point out hidden spiritual truths and allusions. These meanings
are from the etymology.