b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:53:23 +0000

On 22/12/2004 14:08, Vadim Cherny wrote:

What makes the third radical in, say, pr-derived roots a suffix? Suffix

is

something employed across the words with the same meaning. ...

Not necessarily. In Russian, the various verbal prefixes have up to
seven distinct meanings, according to Terence Wade's "A Comprehensive
Russian Grammar".

As native Russian speaker, I would call this an exaggeration, semantic
hair-splitting.

Well, maybe. And maybe a native biblical Hebrew speaker would find a semantic link between the various senses of my "suffixes" and call further distinction "semantic hair-splitting".

Well, this depends what you mean by "deliberate". Yes, it was the
conscious act of some human to coin a new root and suffix combination.

Hardly a caveperson, what do you think?

Are you saying that cavepersons were incapable of coining new words? Yet somehow they seem to have developed human language from nothing.

But of course! This is the whole point! The Hebrew morphology isn't complex
at all. It is beautifully simple. ...

It is much simpler than some languages, yes, but far more complex than other languages like Chinese which basically have no morphology at all.

As for the rest of what you say, I will simply say that it is nonsense.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)