b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:29:08 -0800

On 12/22/04 8:09 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

He will crush your head, and you
will strike his heel." (New Living Translation)

> I would like to challenge you to demonstrate where it is
> inaccurate, at least in the second sentence which is the relevant one.
> Is your point the use of two different verbs where the Hebrew verb is
> the same?

Well in terms of relevance it seems legitimate enough to use two different
verbs in a meaning based translation. The action taken in regard to a head
has different consequences than the same action taken in regards to a heel.

Given the objectives, target audience, intended use, of the NLT I don't see
anything wrong with this.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew