b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:34:10 +0100

The word for "bruise", shu&#770;ph, is translated in a different way in other translations:

"From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." (New Living Translation)

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; he shall crush thy head, and thou shalt crush his heel." (Darby)

I'm not a native English speaker, but If I'm not wrong, there is a big difference between "bruise" and "crush". Which is the real meaning (or meanings) in Hebrew?