b-hebrew - Re: reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:49:23 -0500

Peter:

That's a good question. But like Moshe Schulman, I would have to say that it
is more due to my familiarity with the language than familiarity with the
Bible stories. I often read more Tanakh in a week than a seminary student in
a semester.

In my case, I read the OT through only once in English, and that in a
translation I found at times hard to understand, namely the KJV. The stories
I heard in school were mainly the popular ones, by a long shot not including
all those in Tanakh. Therefore I would have to say that most of my Bible
knowledge comes from having read it in Hebrew, not English.

The first few times I read Tanakh through in Hebrew, I didn't insist on
perfect understanding of every verse, as I realized that my language
understanding was more that of a child than a scholar. And like a child
learning his first language, I realized that sinking in the language would be
the best way to learn it as closely as possible as a native speaker would
have known it. Now it is a rare verse that I find puzzling.

I haven't had the opportunity to read many non-Biblical Hebrew texts. An
example would be the Josiah stone forgery: when it first hit the news, I
found a photograph of the stone to read, as I am familiar with the pre-exilic
font used on the stone. As you may remember, scholars quoted in the press
were clued to the fact that the stone is a forgery by its "modern use of
LBDQ" near the bottom of the text. I noticed anomolies compared to Biblical
Hebrew almost from the very top, and I had a list of them by the time I got
to LBDQ that, quite frankly, I didn't notice that example as being
significant. The whole text just didn't feel right. Another example, when the
DSS traveling exhibit was in town some years back, I read the texts and the
museum officials were red faced when I pointed out that a couple of the
displays were mislabled.

Yes, I still use a dictionary, as I keep forgetting the meanings of lexemes,
but on the simpler Hebrew, such as in Samuel, Kings and Chronicles, I may
look up one word every few chapters.

Conclusion, it is my knowledge of Hebrew language, not Bible stories, that
allows me to read the unpointed text.

Karl W. Randolph.