b-hebrew - Re: reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:30:24 -0500

Vadim:

Before the Masorites invented the vowel points, all Hebrew was read without
points with no problem. All I have done is to return to pre-Masoritic
practice. The pre-Masorites were able to read Tanakh quite well, and I find
that I prefer to read the unpointed text as it often makes more sense.

All you need is to read in context, know Biblical Hebrew grammar and what are
the possible pronunciations and acceptable alternate spellings, have an
understanding of Biblical Hebrew vocabulary, then most of the text can be
read easily and readily understood. No problem. Oh yeah, occasionally you
have to analyse a sentence to discern which is the subject, verb and object
if any, but as long as you know what you are looking for, and what is allowed
and not allowed from the grammar and written text, and the meaning usually
follows.

Karl W. Randolph.