b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:32:00 -0800

Bryan and Harold,

Fitzmyer's not to blame for this misunderstanding, I am. Fitzmyer just
lists Psa. 106:9 as a cross reference when he is talking about the LXX
background for the use of EPITIMAW in Luke 8:24 and 4:35,39. I have done a
little connecting of the dots here which means drawing inferences that
extend beyond Fitzmyer's explicit statements.

On 12/13/04 6:48 PM, "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> If Fitzmyer means, on the other hand, that the rebuke of the waters of Yam
> Suph typifies the Lord's supremacy over the dark powers of chaos in the
> tradition of Gen 1, I can accept the explanation.

Well this is certainly part of what he has in mind but also exorcism. I
think the use of "technical term" has given the wrong impression of what is
being claimed. Fitzmyer isn't taking any wild leaps here. He isn't that
sort of scholar. The exorcism argument is based in part on 1QapGen 20:28-29:

1Q20 20:28 kwl mdynt mcryN wk(N cly (ly w(l byty wttg(r mnnh rwx) d)
b)y#t) wclyt (l [d]y [yt]rp)
1Q20 20:29 hw wsmkt ydy (l [r)y]#h w)tply mnh mkt#) w)tg(rt [mnh rwx)]
b)y#t) wxy

1Q20 20:28 all the provinces of Egypt! But first, pray for me and my house
that this evil spirit may be exorcised from us.² So I prayed for him, that
blasphemer,
1Q20 20:29 and laid my hands upon his [he]ad. Thereupon the plague was
removed from him, the evil [spirit] exorcised [from him,] and he was healed.
The king rose and [in]formed

(M.Abegg text and translation)

I must run now but perhaps tomorrow I will get back to this.

thanks,
Clay Bartholomew