b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:40:14 -0600

Dear Clay,

Psa. 106:9 wyg(r byM-swP
Psa. 106:9 He rebuked the Red Sea

J.A. Fitzmyer* suggests that g(r is sometimes used as a technical term for
exorcism. I am specifically focusing on the use of g(r with YAM (sea) as an
object. Fitzmyer** suggests that the verbal address is not directed at what
a modern would think of as the sea but rather at some spiritual entity and
that the verbal address functions as an exorcism.

HH: Did he give proof of his first assertion, that g(r functioned as a t.t. for exorcism? Even if he did, I see no particular relevance for Psalm 106:9. Practically speaking, what would lead one to think the sea needed exorcising? It was just sitting there being a normal sea. It is God who did something unusual with the water. The idea that it might be exorcism arises from the meaning of the term "rebuke," which we think of in terms of people. But the Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew says that g(r can apparently mean "drive away," citing 4QMa8.1(7).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Comments?
greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*A Wandering Aramean, J.A. Fitzmyer, Page 97.,

**Luke 1-9 (AnchorBible v.28) J.A. Fitzmyer, pages 546,730.