b-hebrew - Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:21:19 +0200

> >While not impossible, lmo and lamo being the same lemma is unlikely. First,
> >schwa expanding into full kamatz is too much. Normally, pausal forms see
> >expansion of either short or the reduced vowels, ...
> >

> I don't think the facts support this. According to GKC 29m,n the
> following pausal changes occur from sheva to qamats:
>
> QF+:LFH > QF+F^LFH
> $IM:(W. > $:MF^(W.
> ):ANIY > )F^NIY
>
> In fact what is happening in such cases is that the pausal form retains
> the full vowel which is lost when the stress shifts off it in the
> non-pausal form.

Exactly my point above. The reduced vowel may elongate back to kamatz in
pausal.

> It can hardly be parsed as
> regular l- plus a root mo, because there is no root mo.

I think it could. cmo, bmo, lmo suggest c, b, l preposition + mo. mo, in my
opinion, is not a root, but rather the very early form of the collective
plural suffix waw, which later became -on (helbon) and -ot (zvaot).
But lamo - I would follow Steinberg in l+hem+o.

Vadim Cherny