b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:53:10 +0200

> Ben Crick wrote:

If plural, we may say "my people whose was the blow". If singular, then
"because of the rebellion of my people the blow came to him" (the Servant).
The idea is that the individual Servant took the punishment which was due to
the people collectively, for their rebellion. <

Both translations are quite far from the literal meaning. The Hebrew has four
simple words:

"from (because of) [the] crime" "my people" "torment" "to it (collective
plural)"

> Karl Randolph wrote:

You can't take the clause alone, and you need to recognize meanings. <

Unless you want to create exegesis, I would caution against such approach.

pesha is crime, not rebellion
lamo refers to collective plural (nation), not to a single person. The order
of antecedents confirms the same.

Vadim Cherny