b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A Jewish perspective on reading biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sameer Yadav <sameer_yadav2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A Jewish perspective on reading biblical hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:20:11 -0800 (PST)

I am sympathetic with Peter's thoughts about this.
The grammatical problems of classical Hebrew are not a
matter of "cognitive dissonance" that can be cleared
up by native speaker intuitions about the
*contemporary* stage of its development. It is a
problem for historical linguistics, and as such
everyone is more or less confronted with the same
descriptive difficulties with the same available
resources to solve them, no matter what their native
language is.

- Sameer