b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:24:30 EST

In a message dated 11/22/2004 1:11:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

> >Yes--my memory served me wrong. The Coptic alphabet certainly does have a
>
> >"thita"--but I have never seen it used in *Egyptian* words--which is what
>
> >should have said in the first place. It is reserved for the writing of
> Greek
> >words, which certainly proliferate in Coptic texts. ...
> >

> Well, maybe. But "ethouab", the last word of Figure 9 and the 7th word
> of the Coptic text in Figure 12 of
> http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, is not a Greek word. Do
> you recognise it as of Egyptian origin? In Figure 9 it is glossed as
> "saint" (in French, but the English meaning is also "saint" or "holy").

My Coptic grammar says thita can be an abbreviation for "t H"--such as
"ethneete" for "t Heneete". "Heneete " is "monastary" and "t' is the
feminine
article "the". I can't tell you why the thita is present in "ethouab"
because I am
not sure of the meaning of the entire phrase. I don't read Coptic very well
because the syntax is very different from ancient Egyptian. And the dialects
vary, too. The only thing I recognize in the term is "wab" or "pure" in AE.
Coptic is a specialization all by itself and few Egyptologists are
well-versed
in it. The Sahidic Coptic dictionary gives "pure" or "holy" as "ouaab"--but
gives no term for "saint". So I can't tell you so quickly what "ethouab" is
all about--but I'll have a further look.