b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:05:32 +0000

On 22/11/2004 20:10, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/21/2004 3:56:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

Thanks for the clarification. The Coptic alphabet, according to http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, certainly seems to have a theta (although variously names thethe, thita, tutte, tida) which clearly corresponds in shape, position in the alphabet and numeric value with the Greek theta. If this document is in fact based on false information, there may just be time to stop the letter being separately encoded in Unicode, but it looks to me like it is clearly attested.

Yes--my memory served me wrong. The Coptic alphabet certainly does have a "thita"--but I have never seen it used in *Egyptian* words--which is what I should have said in the first place. It is reserved for the writing of Greek words, which certainly proliferate in Coptic texts. ...

Well, maybe. But "ethouab", the last word of Figure 9 and the 7th word of the Coptic text in Figure 12 of http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, is not a Greek word. Do you recognise it as of Egyptian origin? In Figure 9 it is glossed as "saint" (in French, but the English meaning is also "saint" or "holy").

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)