b-hebrew - Re: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:33:47 +0000

On 22/11/2004 09:44, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

(Quoting me)

Loprieno's phonetic transcription of Coptic certainly has no
theta, ...

Thanks for the clarification. The Coptic alphabet, according to
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, certainly
seems to have a theta (although variously names thethe, thita, tutte, tida) which clearly corresponds in shape, position in the alphabet and numeric value with the Greek theta. If this document is in fact based on false information, there may just be time to stop the letter being separately encoded in Unicode, but it looks to me like it is clearly attested.

The text sample does not include this letter, among others. I suppose now it's not meant to be all inclusive, but just to give a
general idea of the sound.

What do you mean? Figure 8, word 4, letter 2, figure 12 Coptic text word 7 letter 2, figure 15 word 5 letter 4 all look like theta. Are you really trying to deny the existence of theta (as a letter rather than a sound) in the Coptic alphabet?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)