b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] musical instruments ??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] musical instruments ??
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 01:10:19 -0500

To all:

Has there been any study of all the different instruments mentioned in
Tanakh? Particularly in the psalms there are instruments mentioned, but what
are they? Just for amazement (amazed, we got to the end of the piece
together), I play a couple instruments, so it is more than just passing
curiosity.

Some instruments I think I have found include )YLT , GTYT , YDWTWN , KSH ,
KTP , MXLT , MN [a stringed one?] , NXYLWT , (WGB [possibly one with a soft,
seductive sound, not loud and brassy] , (%WR [ten stringed harp] , $W$N [a
type of wind instrument ??] , $LY$ [balalaika, or similar three stringed
instrument?] , $MYNYT [eight stringed instrument ??] , T$XT . That's not
counting the $WPR and XCCRH which are known. Any idea what these unknown (by
me) instruments may be?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

  • [b-hebrew] musical instruments ??, Karl Randolph, 11/09/2004