b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] PS /g/
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:06:55 -0500

I know that proto-Semitic /g/ (Hebrew gimel) shows up in some languages and dialects as /j/, but does anyone know the explanation for how it gets to these two pronunciations? I mean, at first glance it seems like an intuitive association from an English-speaker perspective. Our letter "g" performs double-duty. But when you stop and think about it, the two sounds are quite different and don't seem to be easily connected. The only thing I can think of is that Greek gamma creeps forward to the point where it becomes /y/ before /i/. But it still seems like a long way for one sound to march. I wonder if there's a simpler explanation.

I know this isn't exactly B-Hebrew, but hopefully the moderators will excuse the diversion :-)

thanks,

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics