b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviticus 2:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviticus 2:11
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:58:19 -0500

Bill Rea:

It appears to me that hometz (heth-mem-tsadeh) (soured, hence "sour dough
bread") refers to leavened bread, while s`or (sin-aleph-resh) refers to the
yeast itself. This view is strengthened in that honey is mentioned in the
same way, and yeast is noticeable in being the only microorganism that can
survive in honey (according to a Scientific American article a generation
ago). (The latter makes honey an effective though messy antisceptic in
emergencies.)

If I remember correctly, nothing with yeast is to be offered on the altar,
even wine was to be poured out as a libation on the ground, not altar. I am
open to correction on this last sentence.

Karl W. Randolph.