b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:33:36 +0200

Dear Peter,

I see I did not manage to get my message across. It does not seem that you ever have tried to make a scrupulous distinction between semantic meaning and conversational pragmatic implicature and understand the principles behind this.

I do not say that less than one per cent of the WAYYIQTOLs and other verbs argue for my conclusions and more than 99 per cent against. For example, I have a list of exactly 3,550 participles and infinitives functioning as finite verbs, signalling past events that were completed at speech time. By the same criteria you use to conclude that the WAYYIQTOLs are perfective, all these infinite forms must be perfective as well. But nobody would claim that. I have a list of 1,027 YIQTOLs that would be taken as perfective by the same criteria as well. There are also thousands of WAYYIQTOLs of different kinds that argue against their perfectivity. But all these werbs tell us what the WAYYIQTOLs are *not*, but they do not tell what the WAYYIQTOLs *are*.

And here are my "less than one percent of the verbs" pertinent. In order to show the real nature of a conjugation, we need a verb occurring in a context where we can be certain that its imperfective characteristics are caused by its conjugation alone, and not by other linguistic factor alone, or by the interplay of such factors. Examples meeting such strict criteria are few indeed -- less than one percent.

I have lectured about my verbal model for groups of scholars, and I do not expect that the model immediately should be accepted, or necessarily accepted at all. But frankly speaking, I am surprised to find how difficult it is to be able to have a meaningful discussion regarding the linguistic principles at stake. It seems to me that very few professors of Semitic languages are able to fathom that there is a distinction between semantic ( uncancellable) factors inside a language and pragmatic factors. This seems to be something they never have thought of. So it is high time that linguistics are introduced into Semitic studies.

BTW, the verb MWT was not viewed as punctiliar in the Hebrew mind. Because punctiliarity is not semantic meaning but conversational pragmatic implicature, I am not aware of a single method by the help of which you can point to a verb and say, "this Hebrew verb is punctiliar". Hebrew verbs can be marked for durativity, dynamicity (change), and telicity, properties that are taken as semantic meaning, but I have never seen proofs that the same is true for punctiliarity.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo