b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:10:48 -0500

Dear Jonathan,

>From biblical through Second Temple through talmudic until modern times,
both Jews and Christians have tended to ignore, or interpret according to
their beliefs, the fact that both Amos (5:25) and Jeremiah (7:22-23)
categorically reject sacrifice as a Canaanite influence and something not
commanded by God. They both prefer observing his berit and observing the
moral code.

HH: Do you really think that is what Amos and Jeremiah are doing. I am flabbergasted. The law about sacrifices came from Sinai itself. Your Tanakh turns into swiss cheese full of holes if you consider sacrifice a foreign element that is false to true worship of Yahweh.

HH: I think Jer 7:22-23 speaks of what had priority. What did God stress when He first brought the people out of Egypt? I don't think Amos 5:25 is denying that they brought sacrifices, but saying that while they may have done that, they also carried their idols along with them.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard