b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:07:28 -0500

Dear Patrina,

Someone please tell me how this would "demonstrate his justice" (Rom
3:25b)? The issue is that any system of "justice" basing its premise on
"sacrifice" of the innocent on behalf of the guilty is absurd. If this
is a "holy" practice, then why can't we use these same premises in our
own systems of justice? Our consciences wouldn't permit it, so why
would a god? At least Judaism has moved forward from its ANE roots in
this regard since they no longer slaughter innocent animals to atone for
their sins, although some fundamentalists still want to bring back the
sacrificial system in a third temple scenario.

Harold, I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel that real "justice" is
an important issue that shouldn't be side-stepped by spiritual
truth-seekers (I do note that what you write is perfectly sound exegesis
of NT texts.). I don't see how anyone can accept such behaviour from any
so-called "god" as 'true justice'. Even Abraham understood that a
righteous god wouldn't destroy innocent people when he said in Genesis
18:25 "Far be it from you to act in this way, to slay the righteous with
the wicked so that the righteous should be as the wicked. Far be it
from you! Does the Judge of all the earth not do justice?"

HH: You raise some good questions. Normally, God would not ask human sacrifice because it would not do any good, since human beings are sinful. But in this case, the claim is that God Himself came to earth as a human being and provided the sacrifice needed in heaven. I'd rather not take this any further, please, unless privately.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard