b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Patrina" <patrina AT bestmail.us>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:31:59 +0930

[Dave wrote:]
> This reflects a drastic misunderstanding of the theology behind the
> central
> event of Christianity. It includes not only Jesus' death, but
> resurrection
> as well. Equating it with "human sacrifice," and particularly with
> Canaanite
> practices, misconstrues the whole idea, but as this topic is very far
> afield
> from list purposes, that's as much as I'll say. Harold has already
> addressed
> most of it much more eloquently than I can anyway.

Dave, I'll let this be my last word on the topic too. Your mention of
resurrection is relevant to the topic of innocent firstborn sacrifice as
atonement for sin. These firstborn children were MLK offerings (see
Carthage), who carried the sinner's penitence to "god" as the smoke rose
to the heavens - pure innocent intercessors. It's not the same as
bodily resurrection obviously, but this ancient understanding obviously
made a new Christian application of these understandings very appealing
to 1st century CE minds and beyond.

Patrina Nuske Small
Adelaide, South Australia