b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:07:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2004 1:17:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Banyai AT t-online.de writes:

> No Mraianne,
>

> you are wrong, I am not calling Hatschepsut a liar (at least not in this
> inscription) but she talks according to my opinion about two facts having
> happened at different times:
>
> "For I have raised up what was dismembered beginning (37) from the time
> when
> the Asiatics were in the midst of the Delta, (in) Avaris, with vagrants in
> their midst, (38) toppling what had been made."
>
> The asiatics have been in Awaris and have toppled the temples and paid no
> respect to Re (last fact is arguable). Awaris has been conquered by Ahmose
> but
> the destroyed temples were re-erected just later by Hatschepsut. This is
> the
> point made in this sentence.
>
> "They ruled without the Sun, and he did not act by god's decree down to my
> (own) uraeus-incarnation. (Now) I am set (39) on the Sun's thrones, having
> been foretold from ages of years as one born to take possession. I am come
> as
> Horus, the sole (40) uraeus spitting fire at my enemies. I have banished
> the
> gods' abomination, the earth removing their footprints."

Banyai--this is not right. You must give the entire pertinent part--not just
the part that suits your own arguments. It goes like this:

"..> Hear ye, all people and folk as many as they may be, I have done these
> things through the counsel of my heart. I have not slept forgetfully, (but)
> have restored that which had been ruined. I have raised up that which had
> gone to pieces formerly, since the Asiatics were in the midst of Avaris of
> the
> Northland, and vagabonds were in the midst of them, overthrowing that which
> had been made. They ruled with Re, and he acted not with divine command
> down to
> the time of My Majesty.
> From the Speos Artemidos Inscription
> Pritchard, James B. ed. Ancient Near Eastern Texts, Princeton, 1969, p. 231.
>

> Following this she expelled the remaining Hyksos population from Egypt. Do
> you see here any mention of a conquest of Awaris by herself? You are
> interpreting to much into the text. There is none. I would doubt, should
> she have
> conquered Awaris, that she would have omitted to boast with this
> achievement.
> Furthermore it is unclear were the link Thuthomsis III at the time of the
> Speos
> Artemidos inscription still a child should be.

Banyai, Manetho did not say which "Tethmosis". It could have been TI, a
great warrior or even TII, with whom Hatshepsut had a co-regency because the
man
was considered a leper--even if he really wasn't one. The body of his mummy
is
covered with scabrous patches and scars and if he looked like that when
alive, as pathologists believe, you know quite well he would have been
considered a
leper because the ancient could not distinguish between true leprosy and the
skin ailments which might resemble it.

> Don´t forget the garbled story attributed by Josephus to Manetho too
> concerning Amenophis father of Sethos (here is Amenophis a confusion with
> Menreptah
> because Manetho garbles the story of Menreptah with that of
> Ekhnaton=Amenophis IV). In the following he speaks about Amenophis son of
> Paapis (Amenophis
> son of Hapu a contemporary of Amenophis IV) having given the suggestion to
> expell the Hyksos. Chairemon calls this one Phritiphrantes. Of a religious
> war
> implicating the destruction of the temples (the monotheist reform of
> Ekhnaton).
> Of the revolt of Moses a priest of Heliopolis(Amenmesse=Messui a
> contemporary this time of Menreptah). Of his retreat to Awaris and his
> alliance with the
> Hyksos (now your favorite subject). Than of the return of the Egyptian king
> in the company of the Ethiopian king (Piankhy). Continuing with Lisymachos
> and Apion: Moses was a priest of Heliopolis Moses (once more
> Messui=Amenmesse
> the contemporary of Menreptah) is a contemporary of Bokhoris and thus of
> Piankhy or at least has lived at the time of the 7-th Olympiad (which means
> roughly the same).

You are wrong about everything you say above, and below but I see there is
little point in further discussion because you view it all as "fantasy"--so
have
it your way.