b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant
  • Date: 19 Aug 2004 17:39 GMT

Peter Kirk wrote:

> Thank you for your helpful reply. But can you explain this one? Where do
> this date and the 7-daru period come from?

The 7-daru period is attested for the assyro-babylonian world and analysed in
the CAH by Hildegard Levy (Cambridge Ancient History, vol. 1, part 2 (1971) “
Assyria c. 2600-1816 BCE”, Hildegard Lewy, pp. 740-741 and 761).

I was able to recognise this period of 350-years as calculated between two
temple-dedications clearly for the late Israelite period and was able to
demonstrate, despite the garbled nature of the early Israelite chronology,
its existence for earlier periods too.

One could therefore theoretically assume, that some activities at the time of
Joshua in Schechem, if historical, which clearly have a dedicatory character,
where perceived by the people of the time, as following some previous
temple-dedication - which was attributed by tradition to Abraham. In that
case would have one in the time of Joshua have reckoned a 7-daru period till
Abrahams reign.

According to my chronological reconstruction was Joshua active in Schechem
around 1594 BC, the Exodus having been 1622 BC. The data concerning the
patriarchs is certainly garbled, but such central events, like the dedication
of a temple (look the long memory of the Assyrian when concerning such
central questions) - who did it, who was involved - where object of a
continuous tradition. We the knowledge of the 7-daru period in the hand, one
could get a schematical view of chronology.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart