b-hebrew - Re: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Torah
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:16:14 -0400

Comments WAY down at the bottom.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:53:07 -0600 Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
writes:
> On Saturday 14 August 2004 10:58, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:
> > In a message dated 8/14/2004 9:56:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> > MarianneLuban
> >
> > writes:

> Time,

> Divine

> lovely custom.

> insistences

> > > Meaning what? If there are persons here who believe the HB is
> divinely
> > > inspired and others who view it as any other ANE text, those two
> > > can certainly co-exist without difficulty--but not if one
> contingent
> > > insists the other is "confused".
>
> As always, context is everything. She wasn't the one who mentioned
> being
> "confused." She specifically said she wasn't confused, in response
> someone else who said they were. In addition, this list has
> coexisted just
> fine for several years without major difficulty, even though - or
> perhaps
> because - we have a wide diversity of opinions about the origins,
> authority,
> accuracy, yada yada yada, about the HB and we all feel free to
> express them
> because the other folks will treat us with respect even while
> differing.

> contains great
> certain

> fact that

> make
> such an
> > >
> > > This is not a forum, as I understand it, for the discussion of
> whether
> > > God exists or not. The ancients--all of them--were
> superstitious because
> > > they had no science.
>
> This is funny. Anything that is not of "science" is defined as
> "superstition." It's easy to dismiss a viewpoint when one defines
> it out of
> existence. You're certainly free to begin with this assumption, but
> I am
> also free to point out that it is, in fact, nothing more than an
> assumption.
>
> > > Everything that occurred for good or ill was at the
> > > whim of the gods. Everything that was beyond their
> comprehension was
> > > viewed as a "miracle". It is not from arrogance that I say this
> but from
> > > evidence that exists from every ancient culture. If you choose
> > > believe that only monotheists were the "enlightened ones" and
> that their
> > > superstitions were not really so because one god can work
> miracles as
> > > opposed to many gods who cannot, then--fine--but do you include
> in that
> > > the single god of the first monotheist, the pharaoh, Akhenaten,
> who
> > > worshipped the sun? Akhenaten was right in a sense--there can
> be no life
> [...]

While I don't wish to denigrate those who accept what the text of the OT
(or NT) state simply for their acceptance of its statements, I would
point out that a simple statement, "How do I know? The Bible told me
so." does not constitute scholarly discussion. One who holds this view
can still engage in scholarly discussion, but in order to do so must go
beyond such basic statements of belief. Perhaps Marianne's reaction was
to the fact that there was, in fact, no discussion of facts but only a
statement of faith made. As such, I suspect her comments regarding
science and superstition were a bit hyperbolic but understandable.

george
gfsomsel