b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Torah
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:15:44 -0500

Yigal:

>From a linguistic viewpoint, TWRH comes from the root of YRH which has the
>basic meaning of throwing out and the objects to be thrown out include
>ideas, histories, laws, also solid objects such as lots, or with the help of
>a mechanical help sending out projectiles with force and distance (bow and
>arrows).

Torah is more than just commands [ MCWH ] or statutes [ XQ ] but often used
as a synonym for them.

Yes, later books mention the Torah written by Moses, such as Joshua 22:5, 2
Kings 21:8, 2 Chronicles 25:4, 33:8 and Nehemiah 8:14, 9:14.

Now add traditions over many years and you get the present confusion.

Karl W. Randolph.