b-hebrew - Re: Davka, was [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Davka, was [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:55:42 +0200

Karl,

"Davka" is spelled Dalet-Vav-Qoph-Aleph - DWQ), not with a Bet. Anyway, the
word in Gen. 2:24, Davaq (DBQ), means "to adhere" or "to stick". How is this
like the meaning of Davka?

Davqa seems to come from the root "DYQ", which does not exist in the Tanakh
(a Dayeq in the Tanakh is a siege-wall), but which in rabbinic Hebrew and
Aramaic means "to be precise".

Yigal